Search This Blog

Monday, August 12, 2013

Grab It and Go

As I pull out the suitcase, I see the satchel of items that I take whenever I travel. They are things I wouldn’t want to forget to pack. There is a toothbrush, toothpaste, nail clipper, comb, deodorant, a small tube of hand cream, the charger for my cell phone, my earbuds for listening and a pair of clean underwear. There is also a bag with a week’s supply of my prescription medications. If I’m flying, I will carry on this bag, so I will have the basics if my stored luggage doesn’t arrive at my destination

I’ve kept a bag prepared and ready to go at a moment’s notice since I was a child, although the contents have changed over the years. I had no need for prescriptions medications then, and cell phones hadn’t been invented yet. When I was young, it included pajama bottoms, but not the tops. The bag was what I needed for a stay in the hospital. I would be given one of those buttonless gowns to wear, the ones that tie in the back but flop wide open when you walk. Wearing the pajama bottoms satisfied my modesty.

For years, the only way I could get an infusion of clotting factor was as a hospital in-patient. These days it is rare for me to have to stay overnight in a hospital. Infusions can be done on an outpatient basis. Younger people who have bleeding disorders are often able to do their own infusions at home.

Pausing for a moment before I fill the suitcase with clothes and footwear, I feel thankful that now my “grab it and go” sack gets to be used for vacations more often than hospitalizations.

No comments: